Friday, June 17, 2011

Casa Fridays: Simple Clothesline Art

Happy weekend! Today I want to keep with the theme of bedrooms and share a quick art idea. I would love to have beautiful art hanging above my bed, but I don't. I stared at the blank wall above it for months before deciding to do something anything to make it look a little less empty.


Well hello there!
So while I wait for the right piece of art to come along, or the inspiration hits to make my own art, I've set up a little art clothesline. This is not by any means an original idea. I've seen other clotheslines all over the internet, but I thought I'd share because it's such an easy project that you can adapt to suit different rooms and styles. Here's what mine looks like at the moment:


It only takes about 2 minutes to set up. All you need is a piece of ribbon or cotton twine, a handful of clothespins and a couple of push pins. To start, push a pin into the wall where you would like one end to be. Tie a bit of twine around the pin and pull the string over to where you want the opposite end to be. Push the other pin in and tie the string around it. Cut the end and you're done. 


The fun part is choosing what to hang on it. I cut out a couple of pictures from 7 Mondays (Mount A's photo/poetry journal) and put a greeting card from Nanase in the middle. It looks a little empty in the photo, but I'm looking to switch it up in the next week or so. I'll update you when I do! Another great part about this project is that it's so easy to switch up. You can hang objects, shapes or art prints. You can use colored clothespins or plain ones.

Here are a few cute clothesline ideas:

From Danielle Thompson's blog.
From Apartment Therapy's gallery
Wouldn't it be nice to have an inspiration clothesline above a work desk? I can sure use a little pick-me-up to keep me motivated...

From Dollar Store Cratfts
I think this would look cute in a baby's room. And this next one would be perfect for a kid's room too because you could switch out the flash cards with homemade art.

From YoungHouseLove
And, what a perfect way to display Christmas or Birthday cards. You wouldn't even need clothespins because you could just fold the cards over the string. I even made one of these for my co-workers birthday and just made 3 small signs saying 'Happy', 'Birthday' & 'Abby'. It was simple, but still looked a lot better than a paper sign sticky tacked to the wall. So, if you've got a spare wall that's in need of some art but you don't want to make nail holes or bother to pick out the perfect art piece, you should try clothesline art.

Have a great weekend,

xo Janelle

2 comments:

  1. I do that in my primary classes, to display their artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a cute idea, I've used it in my daughters room to display cards from her baby shower :)

    Emmett - Hippie Lace

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. Your little notes always make my day!